Projects Links

Click on the "Links"  to go to Project and About Pages Click for Projects Links                                 About the Vess...

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Post Cyclone Sailing

The Sailing that Blew My Scoop Off

I went sailing on Sunday October 25, and I did not realize it at the time, but the building winds were the remnants of Cyclone Patricia (which at one point was a Cat 5 Hurricane on the Pacific coast of Mexico).  The weather buoy data for Apalachicola Bay reported winds average of 16 KTS with gusts of 24 KTS.  In a matter of hours, I sailed over 35 NM, on a beam reach out from Carrabelle to the St George Island Bridge and a beat back to Carrabelle.  It was a nice breeze and I had a lot of fun.





The video above shows a short clip on one of the beats.  With a reefed main sail and slightly furled head sail,  she was making 7 - 7.2 KTS closed hauled.



Dorado box with missing top and scoop. 
At some point on the way back I noticed that one of the stainless steel air scoops was missing.  I guessed that a sheet must have caught on the scoop and ripped the scoop and wooden top of the Dorade box clean off and into the bay.   The photo to the left shows remaining Dorade box.











Session Learned

I have been sailing with the forward scoops facing forward and the aft set of scoops facing back.  This was to promote airflow in with one of the out flows being the starboard aft scoop in the head.  In hindsight, it would have been wise to have the forward scoops facing back.  Also, in preparations for tropical-like storm, it would be wise to remove these scoops and insert screw-in plates or plugs.   The plugs/screw-in plates don't exist, so I guess it is wise to start thinking about them now rather than at the last minute when needed.  For now, I will sail with scoops reversed from what they have oriented.















No comments:

Post a Comment