Projects Links

Click on the "Links"  to go to Project and About Pages Click for Projects Links                                 About the Vess...

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Installing a New Swim Ladder


Installing a New Swim Ladder



The stern topside freshly painted prior to ladder installation.

The Johanna Rose was missing the original LF38 swim ladder.  In it place was a plywood board which was used to temporarily mount an outboard engine.  I filled all of the holes with epoxy thickened with colloidal silica and re-drilled the original swim ladder holes.  Prior to ladder installation, the transom was painted  by rolling and tipping with two coats of Interlux Brightsides.  See post on panting topsides for painting details.







swim ladder installed and looking pretty
I started looking for a swim ladder which would work and look somewhat original.   I was not happy with the one I found online and especially at the prices listed.  I was then able to get measurements of the LF38 swim ladder from other owners.  The plan was to now have one manufactured.   I started obtaining quotes from various places online, and one of the places I looked into to was listed by Stella Blue in a post on "Stanchion and Rail Bases".   The vendor was Tops-in-Quanity which now links to White Water Marine Inc in Port Huron, MI.   I sent them photos of the ladder along with the best measurements that I had.  When I spoke to Mike over the phone at White Water Marine he said  they could build that swim ladder and in fact they still had the specs sheet from when they built the originals!  Wow, I was getting an original remanufactured LF38 swim ladder and all for $330.  Double Wow!





No comments:

Post a Comment